Please search the abbreviations by using the alphabet links above.
The purpose of this tool is to list and define abbreviations used within the supply chain,
Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) areas. Please Email any terms that you think are missing or
where the definition is incorrect. All suggestions will be credited.
This work is copyrighted.
- Free Alongside - price includes delivery of goods alongside the ship.
- Full Container Load (Thanks to Felipe Barousse Boué,
- Finite Capacity Planning
- Also Freight Carriage Paid
- Finite Capacity Scheduler
- Freight Carriage and Insurance
- Food and Drug Administration - Regulatory body which regulates food
and drugs in the areas of ingredients, labeling, manufacturing and
- First Expired First Out. Also First Ended First Out - in a process /
production line, the first item finished is the first to come out
(Thanks to Felipe Barousse Boué, piensa.com)
- Field Force Automation - CRM term for delivering tools and content
to field based sales and service staff.
- Finite Forward Scheduling - finite capacity scheduling as opposed to
infinite capacity MRP
- Factory Gate Pricing - driven by the large grocery chains, is where the
retailers collect products, literally, from the supplier's factory gate
thus utilizing an empty vehicle returning to the distribution centre after
visiting a store. This has implications on the efficiency of the retailers'
supply chain and the margins of the supplier.
- Finance and Financials - SAP module name (Also FIN).
- Financials, Controlling - commonly these two SAP modules tend to be talked
about together. They are both SAP module names. Wags nickname SAP Consultants
who have the accounting skills in these two SAP modules as 'Thickos' ('FICOs').
- First In First Out - a method of valuing stock which assumes that
the stock withdrawn is the oldest, so deducting that price from the
value of the stock remaining. As opposed to LIFO Last In First Out.
- Fork Lift Truck
Moving Consumer Goods - Cadburys, for example
- Failure Mode Effect Analysis - A systematic approach to the analyzing
product failure and its associated risk.
- Flexible Manufacturing System - an approach to manufacturing
(usually automated) which allows production to be switched rapidly
from one product to another.
- Free On Board - the expression comes from the
fact that goods sold "F.O.B. a certain location" will be loaded
on board a freight train, ship or truck at that point at the expense of the seller.
From that point, the buyer must pay all freight and deliver charges.
- Free Of Charge
- Fax Of Intent (Thanks to Stephen Butler)
- Free On Rail
- Fixed Order Quantity (also FOS - Fixed Order Size) - when stock
falls below a certain level a replenishment policy, for example, is activated to order
a fixed order quantity.
- Free On Truck
- Firm Planned Order - an order that cannot be changed by MRP during the
- Floor Ready Merchandise -
Goods shipped by suppliers to retailers with all necessary tags, prices,
security devices, etc. already attached, so goods can be cross docked
rapidly through retail Distribution Centres (DC)s, or received directly at stores.
- Financial Services
- Field Stock Room - small field based store for quick response logistics.
- Freight Transport Association.
- Also Free Trade Agreement (Thanks to
Felipe Barousse Boué, piensa.com)
- Full Truck Load - a freight shipment that fills a whole truck as a
opposed to a Less Than Load (LTL).
- File Transfer Protocol - used to move files from one computer to another.
- Foreign Trade Zone
- For Your Information